Wednesday, March 18, 2009

WHO AM I

I'm a 25-year-old television producer living in Los Angeles.

I spend at least 40 hours a week in Arcadia, CA at the Great Race Place -- Santa Anita Park. This is the home of our 24-hour horse racing network HRTV -- available on DiSH Network and multiple cable companies across the country. You may have not heard of it yet -- but you will.

I've created (and produce) a show for the network -- Against the Odds -- that is now available in roughly 30 million homes. A show that earned HRTV its largest non-industry sponsor (www.visitlasvegas.com) in the network's brief history. I've helped re-design and re-create other notable HRTV programming (Pursuit of the Cup, Race Day America) as well as produce LIVE on-site coverage of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont Stakes and Breeders' Cup.

Before HRTV I worked as a Sports Producer for WPSD in Paducah, KY (market 79) for six months before realizing I wanted more than living in Paducah, KY.

Preceding WPSD were four wonderful years at Ohio University -- a school I HIGHLY recommend for anyone interesting in print or broadcast journalism (how many other schools have alums such as Peter King, Matt Lauer and Jay Mariotti? -- not to mention its own SAT truck for broadcasting live television events).

I grew up watching sports, playing sports, loving sports. That continues as I can't imagine a career in anything else. Some people say sports are just a bunch of games -- I'm not one of them.

Sports are much more to me -- and I hope to share my passion with anyone and everyone that's interested.

Joe Barrett

1 comment: